Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

girl99
Senior Contributor

Poor treatment - how psychiatrists improperly treat clients

This story resonated with me.  I am not schizophrenic but how this woman was treated sounds so familiar.  Why do doctors not consult with their patients?  Why do doctors ignore the input of their clients and why are our stories and experiences silenced?

https://www.patdeegan.com/pat-deegan/lectures/silence

Does anyone else feel the same about being silenced - that their life experience(s) don't matter?

Why don't doctors CONSULT with their patients?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Poor treatment - how psychiatrists improperly treat clients

@girl99 Sadly, as the article says, this isn't an issue only among psychiatric patients. I loathe the way the opinions of "experts" are valued over those of the patient or client. It seems to occur in so many sectors (e.g. intellectual disability, aged cared, psychiatry) that I utterly despair over the state of the human race. I so very badly wish we could change the whole world. Smiley Sad

Talk about experts...had own experiences..but experts definition: drips under pressure!
Just need to fing the good ones,

I agree that the options of so-called experts is often valued much higher than patients themselves who are actually the number 1 experts.

Also,as the article states when there is a clash of opinion from a Psychiatrist vs a patient/s- the Psychiatrists viewpoint is always held up as the true/ correct reasoning or opinion.

Granted,not all Psychiatrists are this way but there is a culture infrained in public hospitals where more "reasonable" Psychiatrists or nurses often lack the courage to speak out about the "dysfunctional or impaired Psychiatrists".

There is also a widespread faulty assumption that the mental health staff (Psychiatrists,nurses etc) are the healthy "normal" ones and there is zero recognition that some of them can be greatly flawed,or sometimes even narcissistic or power driven,which in turn then influences their decision making and leaves some patients being the "victims" of their decisions and without the patients having any effective avenues for complaining as no one is willing to challenge the Psychiatrists,HCCC are overworked and disinterested in Mental Health type cases,and in many instances the patients concerns are dismissed or even faultily misattributed as part of their delusional thinking/as an illness symptom.

You asked "why dont Psychiatrists consult with their patients?"

Lets not forget that some people go into the field of Psychiatry for wrong,in fact bad or twisted reasons, and actually go into it because they feel they can hold a form of power and make decisions for people.

They just need to pass their exams-there are no checks and measures to make sure they aren't ego driven or have a form of narcissistic personality etc.

Unfortunately,some of these types "get off" on feeling that there is a distinction between them and the patients.They view their patients through the lens of mental illness and not as a full beings.The mental illness is their identity (so to speak) in their view.

The idea of being on the same level as "weak mental patients" is quite abhorent to these types,or to put it more kindly,they are unaccepting of the idea.

These types of Psychiatrists strongly resist "change movements" such as implementing peer support workers in hospitals as they feel very threatened by it.

Then there is another type of Psychiatrist who is often well meaning but holds a view of having excessive responsibility for the patient and believes they should make the decisions for them.

This viewpoint isn't helped by the fact that Psychiatrists are sometimes held to be excessively responsible by the law if an event occurs such as when we hear news stories of a person with a mental illness killing someone.

Having this excessive legal responsibility hanging over their heads creates a "stress head' type personality in this second type of Psychiatrist and in turn they may be less likely to work "as a team" with the patient.

Thanks Ivana - what you say makes a lot of sense.

Psychiatrists should be more open to receiving feedback from their patients.  

It must be very scary for patients when someone else in power (the doctor) is given control over your life and what you are allowed to do (the medicine you take, the people you see, analysing your life views, your diet, whether you have to stay in hospital etc. etc.).  

Doctors DO need to be more accountable to their patients. 

Once you have a diagnosis like schizophrenia on you, basically your word means very little to psychiatrists. they seem to have a talent of making everything you say and twist it into being a symptom of psychosis.

I used to get regular house visits from a few empolyees from the hospital as like to check if im still on medication and everything is ok. I had all the blinds down and it was dark inside, because i was watching tv and didnt want any glare from the light on the tv while im watching it. Anyway they just assumed i had everything shut becuase i was hiding from something and that i must be off medication, so i got re admitted in hospital for a few hours till it was finally determined that i was still on medication.. point is, once you are diagnosed with certain things, your word means very little and they think they know basically everything.. not all psychiatrists btw, there are some really great ones out there but also a lot of bad ones too

An Expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less, untill they finally know everything about nothing....

@girl99. A great article to post on the forum. And it resonated with me greatly.
I came home from hospital last night - having requested to go and have a hospital stay - as I was struggling to 'cope' with my depression. I needed a break from the stressors at home that were adding to my 'inability' to deal with my depression myself. And I feel comfortable with my psychiatrist and the psych nurses and therapy groups that they offer.
The difference between this being my choice and knowing that I have a say in my 'care'. Compaired with my family and others who want to help me and tend to push their agenda onto me - without asking me if I want it or need it. And although they may be well meaning, they often make me feel worse.
The important point here:
Me reaching out and seeking help from those I trust the most to help with my MI.
That those I trust with this, are those who treat me as a full human being, who give me the information I need to make a decision on my own health, but are there to assist me (not take over).
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance