Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zam
Senior Contributor

Schizophrenia and Anxiety

Hi everyone.

Havent posted in here in forever it feels. I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia several years back and have seemed to get a good handle on it and stay on medication and am doing my best to live a productive life..

After being admitted in several hospitals during some psychotic episodes, i got the idea in my head that i wanted to actually work in that field since i felt that i wasnt getting the help i truly yearned for in there, and that was just for someone to be able to relate to what i was going through.

So eventually when i started to get better, i acted on that and took up doing a diploma in mental health. Im pretty slow at doing the work becuase i get distracted pretty easy but i keep going at it..

Anyway, i started work prac last week and im around a lot of people for about 6 hours a day. It is causing a lot of anxiety. im not that social and not the best in large groups of people and every second im there i just am fighting my instincts to get out of there and go home where its quiet but i never do and i just put up with being so anxious that it literally makes me feel sick.

Im getting more and more concerned that im going to get so stressed out from it all that symptoms of the schizophrenia is going to get stronger and the medication is not going to work any longer...

I dont know what to do.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Schizophrenia and Anxiety

Hi @Zam

See your GP as soon as you can. I had a very similar problem with anxiety and kept pushing myself until it became unsustainable and was starting to affect the fragile balance with my schizoaffective bipolar type.

I saw my GP and explained that I was experiencing severe anxiety multiple times every day. He put on an ssri that is particularly effective with anxiety. I'm now completely stable and have been so for 15 months. Any anxiety has been related to the things anyone would worry about. My anxiety appears to be a thing of the past.

I know that I will always be more vulnerable than people without my history and will need to remain vigilant for the early signs of deterioration which I do.

My life today is nothing short of a miracle. Please seek help before your schizophrenia starts to spiral out of control.

Thinking of you 🎶

Hi @Zam,

I'm with @Kurra. Perhaps the best thing to do might be a trip to the GP. You could also talk to them about accessing some support from a Psychologist for the anxiety you're experiencing at the moment. I'm not sure if this is something you have explored before, but there are lots of ways you can learn to manage anxiety so that it doesn't get in the way of pursuing things that are meaningful for you. Although it's uncomfotrable right now, it's good that you are sticking with these situations even though they are making you feel anxious. Often one of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to confront the situations that scare you to prove to yourself that they are not as threatening as you had imagined, and/or that you are equiped to handle any challenges they may bring up.

This link has some pretty good tips that you might find helpful as well!

Hope that helps!

supernova.

Hi @Zam, I think @Kurra has the best idea, see your GP sooner rather than later about this severe anxiety. You don't want to put all your hard work from your studies go to awry from something that can be nipped in the bud so easily. 

Congratulations on doing a diploma of mental health. I have a Cert IV in mental health and am looking now to do a Diploma of Community Services. I want to use this diploma, as a pathway to University where I want to do a Bachelor of Social Work. Like you, I found the 'system' extremely lacking during my time as a consumer. I basically do not want others to face the same barriers as I did.

Former-Member
Not applicable

hello @Zam

You are doing so well and I can completely understand how your levels of anxiety would rise.

Yes anxiety is fear of the future and I am sure that your studies have discussed anxiety at some level.

However when we are experiencing anxiety it is very real. can spiral when left unchecked. I know this only too well.

The others have all responded and given you valuable advice.

Please know that this does not indicate that you cant cope. You can cope you are just showing your level of intelligence and knowledge of mind and body connection. You are acknowledging your symptoms and are looking after yourself.

The gp will be able to put you on a health plan with a psychologist paid by medicare. You have a gp with your medication for schizophrenia, that gp will have all of your medical history.

we are able to help you which is wonderful. We are all here together helping each other.

This can be a valuable part of your study.

take care and thank you again for all of your invaluable help.

Former-Member
Not applicable

-

-
Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hi everyone and @Zam 🙂

Schizophrenia Awareness Week is kicking off this Saturday and SANE is shining the spotlight on the illness. Check out our latest factsheets and real stories as told by people with schizophrenia.

Also be sure to check out Topic Tuesday to talk about living with schizophrenia, where we will be joined by Hannah, who is featured in SANE's Schizophrenia Awareness Week campaign.

Thank you everyone for the replies, sorry i have been slack on replying. I had a break from computers and well everything for a little bit just to give myself a break from everything. I hope everyone is doing well and again your messages are much appreciated

Hi. I have schizoeffective disorder and experience the same situation. I am up and down and hav had four admissions and repeated psychosis. I know this is going to sound harsh. But are you putting yourself through too much working in a ward.? Can you change what sort of mental health advocacy that you do.? i.e. Work in the community so you can drive in and out of situations feeling a bit free of it.  I admire your tenacity but when relating that to my own situation. I just simply could not do that. It's too much on your mind. Best of luck. My advice is to talk to someone about it and perhaps you need a little more medication at the moment to help you make the right decision. Zest.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance