Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: My big news... I think????

@Maggie @Anastasia @Gwynn @SJT63 

An update on my work. These chairs have been and are such a huge job. I had someone but they piked after the first day, do been doing it myself since. 

Anyhow, thankfully I am finally up.to the staining/varnishing stage after finishing off some sanding today. 

I am adding a before and after shot so you can tell the difference. I'm leaving them for 24 hours to dry. 

Tomorrow I will do the bits left and the rest of the chair in the photo. I had to repair two of the pieces as it had a huge gash of wood missing in both. Hopefully the pieces I'm fixing will be dry tomorrow so I can sand them back. 

Oh and also you can see my new workbench now too. Bought it for $30 bucks and I'm going to do it up. IMG20201219201343.jpg

IMG20201219201353.jpg

@Powderfinger  The chairs are looking incredible. 👍👍👍👍

@Maggie thank you so much. Wait till you see them finished. I'm so proud of myself. I've never done this before. Promise. 

You should be very proud of yourself @Powderfinger. Looking forward to seeing the end product. 👍👍👍

@Powderfinger 

chairs a looking great, and I love the workbench!

@SJT63 thank you so much. That will be my next project after these chairs are done. X ♥️

@Anastasia 

Haven't seen you around for a bit. Just popped in to say hi and is all OK? 

@Maggie @Anastasia @SJT63 @Gwynn 

The BIGGEST update so far. 

I decided that I was going to do a huge update on the chairs because it is nearing completion. 

This has been a massive journey for me. I have learnt so much that will stay with me forever. By seeing the responses with the very few people around me physically, I really am the most excited and happiest about these chairs. I have been so engrossed in the project, working every single day and working hard to bring these chairs back to life and really being very much in my element. I realised no one could feel what I feel because it is one of my interests and passions, it is work I did alone every day, it really was my journey. 

It was a deep realisation I came to. So, I have stopped really expecting anything from the very few people around me physically. I thought to myself, well hey if they are very interested in what I have done and am doing, they will ask me. Then I can talk about it. This has/had so much great meaning to me and was special to me. I also realise that at times, I am going to want to be left by myself to think about my journey, if there isn't anyone who want to hear about it in my process. So, That is what I will do. 

I have spoken with my client to organise pick up/invoice/payment. She is picking up the chairs on Saturday morning as that is when I said they will be ready. I have three more night with the chairs, so I am going to work on separating myself from them. You do form some kind of attachment with them and have to let them go back to where they came from. I am left with wonderful memories. I am also thankful that this project was there for me during my extremely dark days. Although, I was still in a very dark place while working on them, they saved me, these chairs. They saved me in so many ways. 

I want to add that even though it may or may not look like to some or all people, I assure you I have NEVER in my life done this work before. I have never restored and reupholstered a piece of furniture ever. It was in my dreams for more than twenty years to do it one day, but that was more on a retirement basis. Looks like I was meant to do it sooner! I have never had any training or studies and so on. It has been in my thoughts recently that I am going to look at perhaps doing a furniture upholstery course later next year but I am unsure yet. I still havn’t finished my current studies, so I will need to do that first.

I have worked with my hands in jobs over the years with machinery/tools and technical aspects, but never restored and reupholstered furniture. I am just sharing that more so because I think I am amazing to do what I have done here, even though I have had no experience in this. Very proud of myself indeed. I can also see though that I need training lol.

I also liked that I had this thread to come to. THANK YOU for engaging with me, for your support, for your encouragement and being with me online through this journey. @Maggie @Anastasia @SJT63 @Gwynn 

It has been so great for me to have somewhere to go when I felt very alone on my journey, and has also helped.

Today marked the day of having picked up the chairs and having them for exactly one month. I was thinking yesterday, it does not feel like this has been 1 months work. So, I looked back on the dates of all my photos and messages. I worked out, I have only been working on them solidly since the 9/12. I had a lot of stuff going on when I picked up the chairs and I wasn't prepared to be doing the job itself. So, I had a few setbacks time wise. Before the 9th it was just when I could get to them. I also had an agreement with a sidekick for the entire project and to split the earnings 50/50, but they bailed after day 1. I was a bit disappointed, but the show must go on. I was left with it being just me. They would have been done by now if there were two. 

Tomorrow I am going to be fairly busy with the chairs and on Thursday as well. Christmas eve day and night and Christmas day and night are going to be really hard for me to get through. I do not know what to expect really, but I know that being busy with the chairs and having those two days which I am particularly really affected by will drain me tremendously and I will probably need quite a few days to recover.

Aside from that, my little business shuts down today for two weeks.I will not be taking ANY jobs on at all. I need time off and time to rest. I need time to myself and to reflect and make some decisions. I am very tired.

Either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday, I will be doing another update.

@Powderfinger  That sounds like quite a journey of success. You are a natural. I hope the lady who owns them, will love what you have done. It’s always good to have such hard work appreciated.

A few hard days left for you. Good luck.

I hope you do take time out to relax, time to see and smell the roses. 🌹🌹

Wow @Powderfinger 

So proud of you. You can't see this yourself (but you should) or know this but I tell you this from the bottom of my heart...you are an inspiration!!!

Not only have you transformed someone's treasures you have also transformed with them. You may not be where you want to in your journey of life but I can tell these chairs have assisted you to move forward in many ways. You really are a very insightful soul. You think deeply and I think this is why you get hurt and let down because you have such a big heart and I feel that you are such a giver. I am excited to see them if you want to share.

Rest easy my friend and love to you always x 🌹🌟🤗❣️

@Maggie 👋💐🎁❣️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance