Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Did you have to wear masks when seeing your therapist?

Unfortunately, NSW mandated masks in indoor settings, all across Greater Sydney.

Last time retail workers didn't have to wear them after hours, but I am expecting that I have to wear them at work this time, which is frustrating.

I have an intake appointment with my counselor on Thursday, which is obviously indoors. I am hoping I don't have to wear a mask during the session, but when masks were mandatory in your state, did you have to? It must make it hard to open up to them.

I am really upset... I am isolated enough as it is, and now there's an actual, physical barrier between me and everyone else around me, enforceable by law. There's no way you can meet anyone new when they can't see half your face. Ideally you would have people in your life before the pandemic started... or at any other point up until now.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Did you have to wear masks when seeing your therapist?

@Former-Member 

At times I've had to wear them at group therapy, which is a bunch of people in an enclosed space, so while it sucked, I could see the point.

As for one on one- a few times with my psychiatrist before we switched to phone and my psychologist went telehealth early on...

I hope your session goes well

Hi @Former-Member 

It is hard with the masks, especially if you are meeting someone for the first time.

My appointments went to mobile once VIC was placed into lockdown so I am not sure if you will have to wear a mask at all. I guess you probably won't know until you go to your appointment, which is really frustrating.

I see my psych next week for the first time in awhile (have been phone for the last month) and am not sure if I will have to wear a mask or not.

Perhaps you can prepare yourself for wearing a mask and if you don't have to then that is just an added bonus.

Take care 

Snowie

Yes @Former-Member , I had to wear a mask. It's hard at first, but I guess I just got used to it.

Then my appointments ended up being via Telehealth, so I don't need a mask.

I see it as the treating team need to stay well in order to help consumers. I acknowledge masks are a challenge, but I also see the need to protect those working in the community.

@Former-Member I'm in Victoria, when face to face sessions have been allowed masks have been mandatory and still are. The majority of my sessions for the past 11 months have been Telehealth. 

BB 🐰💙

Hi @Former-Member 

I wonder if there is a way you can perhaps shift your perceptions of how you personally feel about the mask wearing? I know when we are told we have to do something, it almost automatically means we just don't wanna do it. 

I wondered would hearing a somewhat different idea from someone who experiences both major depression and severe anxiety offer a different perspective. It's hard to know when there's no response or recognition of whether what one has suggested is of worth or not to those who ask.

The mask thing for me means many different things, none of them negative.

To me, the mask is a safety shield, giving an extra layer of protection, both for me, and for others coming into contact with me, in a time of trouble. (I've researched ad infinitum, the efficacy of protection for the mask wearer and it's a useful protection for them too - I will not debate this issue - I state it only for those who may wonder what qualitative support I have for my choice.)

The only negative about them that affects me is when others do not wear their own masks when near others, whether mandated to or otherwise.

No one is allowed into my home without a mask, I do not know where they have been, and they do not know where those they have come into contact with, have been. (I'll add that the number of people who come into my home is miniscule, and they have no issue with it.)

In fact, due to my own health issues, I've been wearing a mask when in public for a number of years before this thing hit.

It keeps out odours, like perfumes that cause migraines, reduces the effects of smoke from wood fires etc, and has protected me from the air borne germs of those who cough and sneeze uncovered in the doctors' waiting rooms.

Since I've been able to, I've been doing telehealth appointments, so that is a blessing; when I had to go for an in person face to face, for a new doctor, I wore the mask the whole time. I'd have felt a whole lot safer if the doc had been wearing a mask too!!! but he didn't back then. 

Okay, that's some background info. 

I'd respectfully suggest it might help if you were to compare the visit wearing a mask to the interaction one has in other situations. When talking/ typing online with a therapist, the chat function has no faces to see, telephone interactions are without faces to see.

Meeting someone new doesn't necessarily mean one has to be able to visually see them, those who are vision impaired do not see faces, let alone bodies, yet they still meet new people. Perhaps recognising this aspect might allow you to stretch your current perceptions a little to search for stepping stones to making the mask wearing not such an issue in the way it currently seems to for you.

Has anyone noticed the positives around wearing a mask as a retail worker?

No need to wear so much make up.

No need to keep that smile pasted on when you really don't feel like it - you can still have facial movement, like smiling, and that is reflected in the voice. 

Not so many coughs and colds.

My own quality of life has improved significantly since I began using masks in public a couple of years ago, so I have no problem with current mandates re masks.

It's just a couple of thoughts I've had ... 

Masks really are reat for all those reasons. They're civil is what they are.

I recommend lots of hand gestures and general body language. It's 90%ish of communication and you kind of have an opportunity to explore it. "Mask work" is a deeply exploratory part of the theory and history of acting. Most dramatists extend their process "below the neck" (as it's sometimes put) and let expression tell the story. There is a whole nervous system all the way to your finger and toes. It's as much a part of your brain as the rest of it. The qualitative data is incalculable.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance