Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Chris
Senior Contributor

Feeling abandoned and rejected by professionals

Guess im over reacting as usual. But i just feel like ive been abandoned.  My psychologist is very conscious of the financial side of things, and wants me to see her every four to six weeks to keep my costs to the minimum, and maybe see my new psychiatrist inbetween. Only problem with that is i feel i need to her fortnightly. Spoke to my previously psychiatrist yesterday. Well somehow it went wrong,  and i feel abandoned by him dispite the fact he asked me when i wanted another teleconference.I said i didnt know, so he said he would leave it to me. I think i got too close to him before he moved.I expected too much.  See my new psychiatrist  on Tuesday  Still too much hapening. I feel worn out with everything. Just want to spit the dummy and lock myself away.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Feeling abandoned and rejected by professionals

@Chris You are still the centre of your family and I am glad that you keep keeping on.

regards Apple

Hi @Chris. Did you explain your feelings and why you feel it's necessary to see her more often? Talking to your previous psychiatrist may have slightly compromised everyone concerned. Perhaps a visit to your G.P to discuss things with him/her might help alleviate some of your distress. The only other alternative is to possibly email/write to the psychologist and explain things a bit more clearer. When we try to explain how we're feeling, sometimes we get caught up in anger/resentment/abandonment issues and things we mean to say come out wrong. Your feelings are real and they need to be cleared up to stop you feeling abandoned. Perhaps ask your G.P to email/write to the psych on your behalf.

Hi @Chris

I am sorry to hear you feel abandoned, it is not a nice way to feel at all.  I just wanted to add a little bit about the psychologist specifically.  I strongly suggest having a chat with her about how you feel because what often happens is a psychologist may think it would be best for their client to see them less frequently but for a longer amount of time.  Her suggestion to see you monthly would not be a personal reflection on you at all but rather her feeling it may benefit you so she can work with you for a longer period of time overall. Are you financially able to see her fortnightly? If so let her know this and assure her you have budgeting for make sure you can see her this often and explain why right now you need to see her more.  Could you strike a compromise and say see her every 3 weeks? Or gradually taper out to have appointments more space out? Say fortnightly for the next couple of months, then go to 3 weeks then 4 etc. This may be less of a shock to your system then going from 2 weeks to just every 4-6 weeks. 

It can be hard when a professional support is leaving and we are left to build rapport and trust with someone new.  However this doesn't always have to be a negative, sometimes fresh ears and eyes can be great in moving us forward that little bit more.  Fresh ideas, fresh perspectives etc. 

Otherwise, the forums here can be a great source of support during appointments and also phone helplines like Lifeline 13 11 14.

Kitkat16 - one of the moderators. 

Hi @Chris

I know how you feel, I feel like you - abandoned by psychiatry. Luckily my psychologist is very good though. I have tried to find another psychiatrist to no avail, I am in the small city of Canberra and there just ain't many psychiatrists here. I keep having dramas with psychiatric medication. I'm strongly considering carefully withdrawing off my medication and going the psychological route only. I'm strongly considering it.

I hope your new psychiatrist is good and that you feel better soon.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance