Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: “I don’t need people” state of mind

Uncertainty is very tough @creative_writer  I like to have a clear plan and structure in my days so I’m with you in that one.

@tyme, I started picking at my lips again, guess I’ll need to stick with very frequent lip balm and/or lipstick application

@Eve7, I don’t even know what’s happening in terms of uni course structure, it’s stressing me out. Like I like concrete answers, being able to plan around things, I know sometimes I may be too rigid, but I do better with structure

@creative_writer wrote:
@Jynx, I’ve heard autism and masking go hand in hand. I think I do see ASD traits in my family if I think about it. It can go unnoticed particularly if someone is high functioning. I don’t actually know many neurodivergent people, but it would be nice to connect with neurodivergent folk.

I haven’t been diagnosed with ADHD myself, I do have some traits. Don’t know if that’s because there is an overlap with ASD.

I don’t know if I remember carefully, you had ADHD?

@creative_writer Yeah I do have the ol' ADHD, and it does tend to have a LOT of overlap with ASD. There's some distinct differences though. One big difference is that ADHD can be treated with medication, which does make things a lot easier. So if you think you might have ADHD too, it could be worth seeking a diagnosis! 

I wish it was easier to find other neurodivergent people "out in the wild" so to speak. I have joined a fair few groups on facebook and reddit for ND folks which has been amazing in terms of normalising my experiences and giving insights into why I am the way I am. I think you could seek out other ND folks by engaging in your hobbies or special interests. I have friends who love to go rock climbing and have found other ND folk that way. I guess there are certain activities that ND folks are more drawn to? 

Do you have any special interests you love to talk about/deep dive on? 

@Jynx, I don’t know if it’s also because of my bipolar disorder too. I can act hyperactive and struggle with attention during mood episodes. I’ve been super depressed and barely concentrating on uni right now. Though, my brain does work so much better when I’m in a stable mood. I have always had ASD traits, nobody recognised it until I became an adult.

I enjoy creative writing, both fiction and poetry. I am also passionate about understanding human behaviour, hence why I studied psychology at uni before and the reason why I pursued social work
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance