Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

romani12321
New Contributor

Is it anxiety?

Hi, this is my first time posting to these forums so hopefully I don't ramble too much.

I'm currently in year 12 and I suppose to an extent, it does not help that I'm under constant pressure in regards to SAC's (assessments), but recently I've been feeling as if I'm 'going crazy'.

It's hard to describe how I've been feeling other than just like everything has been out of control, and it's been at its worst over this last week. Everything really started to spiral out of control during the COVID-19 isolation period which is when I first started experiencing panic attacks. These panic attacks were horrible at first, with the primary concern being a feeling of dissociation whereby the world around me felt really hollow and 'off'. It's something I cannot describe.

I've always had problems with searching stuff up online to try and self diagnose, and I suppose it all started to spiral when I began reading about schizophrenia. I know it's highly improbably, and to this day I don't believe I am going to become schizophrenic, but there's times where I just don't know.

Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing stuff in my peripheral vision, however I am sure that this is just my anxiety overanalyzing a normal eperience. Furthermore, I sometimes find myself smelling a smell such as smoke when there is no explanation, but I also believe this can be attributed to anxiety.

Another concern is a feeling that I had a few times when I was young, but it has come back. When I was young, during a period of flu I would experience this feeling where the scale and weight of objects would feel strange and off to me. It happened when I closed my eyes and I felt like I could see shapes changing size which distressed me. However, recently during panic attacks and potentially at times where I'm extremely tired, I feel this feeling again. 

Anyways sorry for the long post, but I just want to know if anyone else has these experiences, and if I should be concerned.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is it anxiety?

hey @romani12321  

can i please ask if your 18 (or over)? just as these forums are for those whom are 18 and over. 

ill respond to your post in a second though.

Reachout-would actually be a good site for you as well. they also have forums like these and  they are based for those between 14 and 25 so alot of there members are also in high school too. 

https://au.reachout.com

ive had a read of your post and it seems quite tough for you. do yo think you might be comfortable in talking to your gp about what your experiencing?

from there they can write you a mental health care plan which will allow you to speak with a psychologist and get medicare rebates (or if its through headspace it is free) so it wont be so expensive.

your always welcome to have a chat with qualified counsellors on SANE, Kidshelpline or Eheadspace as well.

Hey Romani,

I can relate to the feeling of going crazy while in high school, both during it and coming back in the 2nd half of year 12 (and I didn't even have to cope with COVID-19). I've also been down that road of reading about my symptoms online and then ending up reading about schizophrenia or just generally conditions that aren't mine. I can relate to experiencing certain physical symptoms or mental thought processes indicating to you that something just isn't feeling right. It can feel really concerning, but you are still in charge.

You obviously care about school because you say it right from the start of your post. If I go back to the year 12 world of SACs and pressure and all that, I'd be thinking that it's June right now so I have time to work on anything I need to, including my mental health. You have concerns about your physical and mental health, so going to a doctor is definitely a good option to support yourself. They can help you access psychological services and/or medication, and work through symptoms that concern you.

Best of luck with the next few weeks,

Tilly

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance