Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

bipolarbunny
Community Elder

Just a vent

Having a really frustrating night and just needed to vent. My meds get upped tomorrow, thank god. I'm so sick of feeling p*ssed off all the time. Actually that's not accurate, I'm sick of my toxic family p*ssing me off all the time and I'm left to deal with the aftermath. Seriously cannot wait till I am done with them all for good. 
I just seem to start making healthy gains and I'm dragged back into all their bullsh*t again. 
A family of narcissists and/or enablers who have never given me any respect or love. The only time they acknowledge my existence is when they need something. 
Seriously just over it. Over being made to feel like I'm less than nothing or that my feelings and my time isn't important. 
Well f*ck them all!! I'm a better person than the lot of them put together will ever be. I'm proud to be the black sheep! As long as I'm nothing like them!! Just can't wait for the day I can go no contact and finally be free of the lot of them.
Thanks for listening. 
BB 🐰❤️

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Just a vent

Hi @bipolarbunny 

Firstly I don't think we have chatted before so hi, nice to meet you.

My meds have just been upped in the last few days too.

Sorry to hear about your family and how toxic they are.

Hoping you find the people on here supportive for you.

Listening and hearing you clearly

Snowie ❄

@bipolarbunny  Hey bb sorry to hear that you are not supported properly by your family. Life is tough enough with bipolar without having a toxic family to deal with. As you have seen we are a caring bunch here who will always be here if times are tough.  Hope the medicine does the trick for you. Take care. Love peaxx

@bipolarbunny 

Hi bipolarbunny

Understanding Vent

I can certainly understand that feeling of staying immobilised in the same unpleasant space. It is particularly frustrating when family is initiating and/or maintaining a position that contributes to our feeling of frustration and distress.

Your comments

they acknowledge my existence (is) when they need something.” and

being made to feel like I'm less than nothing or that my feelings and my time aren't important.”

ring a bell for me.

Unfortunately, I also feel that maintaining as much distance, physically and psychologically, between those others and me is the best possible course of action.

Then the anxiety arises about what else could happen and how soon. It's strange to know that some of the people we associate with, and even strangers on this forum, can understand our concerns and life issues better than our immediate family.

Admittedly, on the forum, our concerns are somewhat distilled so that people can address a single issue that we may state. But we can certainly be disappointed when people, who should know us better, cannot understand and empathise with our positions and concerns.

To paraphrase the expression:

Only in one's home town and in their own house is a prophet without (honour) respect”

It is an age-old problem.

This, I think, is the reason that we often receive more recognition from people around us than our own family. Our family often take us for granted; they know us so well that they can't acknowledge or they simply choose to overlook our inner concerns and position, or they are so bound up in their own lives that they cannot meaningfully extend themselves to understanding those whom we would think to be closest to them.

In my case, it is a brother who has on a number of occasions sought my assistance directly and financially, who at other times acts in an abrasive, aggressive and arrogant manner.

Should we say that, if others knew us better, they would treat us the same way? Yet, even in my imagination, hypothetically speaking, I still cannot believe that others would not look at us and our situation with more objectivity, understanding, empathy and the wish and desire to assist us, if and where they possibly could.

In many ways on this forum, we can discuss and separate issues into hopefully meaningful patterns. And sometimes, even if it is little consolation, we can intellectually identify with others' experiences of similar behaviours to those that we experience ourselves.

We can really wish each other special times of peace and tranquillity that we may also enjoy from time to time, and the support that comes from acknowledging obstacles that, when we describe them, others can share the experience of facing and hopefully helping each other, as far as we can, to overcome.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Dimity
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear you're going through this rough patch @bipolarbunny.  I feel bad when my family ignores me or puts me down, I have almost no contact these days but it's better than the open conflict we used to have. Feelings of hurt can run so deep. 

I hope the meds kick in for you and treat you kindly. Sending you warm wishes and hoping you can find some solace this evening and til things improve.

Take care,

Dimity

Hi @bipolarbunny I can relate to the feeling of being misunderstood by family of all people,I mean of course I love my family but as you have said sometimes where just done with their crap,sorry for your toxic family causing more problems than you need right now,I really still  feel misunderstood by a family member who is no longer speaking to me at the moment,theres some feelings I cant voice to them now even though they voiced theres which yes its frustrating cause then your made to look like the badie for trying to share your side of feelings and yes its strange how sometimes strangers can be more empathetic to our feelings and problems than family as @HenryX was stating I very much agree with @HenryX ,hope today Biploar Bunny is a better day for you,sending hugsxHeart

Hi @LostAngel 

Thank you in support of @bipolarbunny, for your agreement, acknowledgement and comment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers HenryX

Hi @Snowie 

@Really nice to meet you too, thanks so much for the support it is truly appreciated. Other than my tdoc once a week I really have no one I can open up to about this sort of thing, so this forum and the amazing people within have become a godsend to me. 
BB 🐰❤️

@greenpea Hey Pea, thanks so much my friend. Yes some families definitely fall short at be called so. I am the youngest of seven and the only female, all my brothers are mommy's boys, so I was bound to be the scapegoat & black sheep. It's so difficult now because I've been left to care for my aging narcissistic mother who has early onset dementia and I get no help from any of them. Yet when they want something I'm supposed to drop everything and run to help them or I get bad mouthed behind my back. It's been that way for the past 19 years ever since my father passed and my mother refused to live on her own. I am desperate to move out but just cannot afford to. Ironically they can't handle being around my mother, but if I complain, I'm told to suck it up and stop being selfish. Yeah I'm so selfish I haven't had a holiday in over 15 years. They think I'm a loser. 2 of them hate me for having just been born, one of whom is a violent alcoholic and tried to assault me in the past. The others are just dismissive of me, unless of course they need something. The only reason I have anything to do with any of them is because if I don't I have to deal with my mothers narcissistic rage. It's just a mess. I have an exit strategy but it isn't going to happen overnight. I've just gotta hang in there and not let them send me around the twist. Anyway I got to see my pdoc today, so Meds have been tweaked, which will hopefully get me steady again. I can handle anything as long as I don't have to deal with the seething rage on a daily basis. 
Hope you are having a good day my friend. xxx

BB 🐰❤️

Hi @HenryX 

Thanks so much for the support. I agree entirely in that strangers seem to understand us better than our own families. 
My family has no idea who I am and nor do they want to know. They are not interested in any aspect of my life, yet I'm supposed to turn cartwheels when they have a grand child or buy a new car. When I was first diagnosed I turn to my older brother for support, he couldn't have given a sh*t. Then in the next breathe he's telling me all about his job and his woes and I'm like, I have come to you in crisis and it's still not about me?

All of my siblings have my mothers fleas. They are self absorbed, judgemental and have no empathy or self awareness whatsoever and if you are in their orbit you must worship them and there children.

Until I understood what narcissism was I really didn't understand how toxic my family is. My tdoc gave me a book to read called Will I Ever Be Good Enough?

It was mind blowing. Like reading my own life story. Since then I understand the "rules of the game" a little better. But their behaviour still cuts me to the core at times. I just keep hanging in there for the day I can finally go no contact. I deserve to be free of them. 
BB 🐰❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance