Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

florencefifty
Senior Contributor

Money is fuel for substance abuse.

When I got my new job, they told me I would get paid monthly. So I put most of my money in a savings account that I cannot touch, and put a big lump sum into my spending account, so I would have a specific amount per day on average.

Within a couple of days, I had a massive amount of alcohol, because at the time I could afford it. So my family had the idea to set up a recurring payment instead, a certain amount per day, re-setting every seven days.

That sounds great, but today was the first weekend since it happened. The money was transferred to my account early this morning. It takes a while, but eventually it gets to my account, around midday or early afternoon. It’s now 3:00PM and nothing has arrived.

Then I realised, it might not come because banks aren’t open on weekends. So right now, it’s a beautiful sunny day, everyone’s out enjoying life (and drinking by the way) and I’ve got barely any money.

In 2023, why the are banks closed on a weekend? I have seen threads that say that they are closed on weekends because the Reserve Bank is closed on weekends. Well, why is the Reserve Bank closed on weekends? Can’t they have weekdays off?

At least I’ll have plenty on Monday… and it’s because I can’t have a tonne of money without the risk of using it on alcohol.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Money is fuel for substance abuse.

So true! Sounds like you have been doing a bit of reflecting there @florencefifty 

Interesting thought - why aren't banks closed on weekdays? Well my bank branches have closed so now i can only deposit and withdraw money from the post office - bit sad, eh?

It's scary that everything is moving online. If there's no power, then poof! Everything stops.

But yes, in many cases, money is the fuel for substance abuse. 

Can it be seen as the disease of affluence?

@tyme  I like your question. A lot.

There is a road you're traversing mate, that I would certainly not say is either old or new, but it quite obviously either clouded by humanity (in the negative sense), or supported by the cloud created by self. Either one is going to find you at a later date in front of a massive (?) sign, in your own mind, while all others around you already knew. Deciphering the difference between a smile of slight amusement and the 'knowing'.. is key. 😉

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance