Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Chris
Senior Contributor

Triggers

What do you do when something or someone triggers you?.

9 REPLIES 9
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Triggers

Hi @Chris, when I get triggered I have a script I read through that my psychologist and I wrote together. I also use the 5 senses mindfulness activity. It is something I can do discrete without anyone else noticing 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Chris
I usually shut down as a first reaction internally. im not sure many people would immediately notice but i freeze.
Usually i can remind myself that im not somewhere unsafe, that things are ok but i will often have the visions/memories still flashing through my head on repeat. I have tried to get better at just continuing what ever i'm doing and try to focus on that so that the other stuff fades, but it can be hard and the anxiety then is huge too. All the grounding type exercises are helpful, listening, touching things/holding things... I don't know if you've seen 'fidgit cubes'? they're popular with kids.. i have one in my pocket most of the time! and i hold that, feel it, make it click or press the buttons on it and just try to do the mindfulness 'noticing' of it. I started carrying it around with me at my school to demonstrate that it could be useful to some kids.. and how to use it, hold it, play with it inconspicuously... and realised it could be helpful for me too lol!
BambiFawn
Senior Contributor

Hey @Chris

If I get some form of communication from my mother, who was verbally abusing me and once physically, I just feel unwell and hear her voice and a negative tape of her verbal abuse or muffled voice.

I usually then take extra medication as per discussed with my Doctor.

Another trigger can be violence on tv, as it reminds me of family domestic violence.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Chris Hi,

I generally just stand there and get really mad and go WHY!!!!!! WHY!!!!! That's 100% going to now trigger me off! I hate you all!!!! Great here comes a set back. I've been working so hard and bang I'm back to nothing. Basically I have a fit.

Then I just go into crisis mood. Let my loved ones know. Try keep my routine tight. And just breath and hope I can ride it out.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @BambiFawn, sorry to hear about your mother.

I agree that tv can be a trigger. There are certain movies and tv shows I avoid becasue I know they will set me off.

Ya dear @Former-Member,

The show 48 hours and police shows CSI and NCIS and Rizzoli police shows normally set me off and I can get flashbacks lol.

Hi dear lovely @Former-Member,
Thanks for your wise counsel concerning not watching certain telly shows. Yes we have to guard our heart with all diligence. 'proverbs 4:23.
We have to guard our heart with what we see and hear. Have a lovely day, you are so sweet and caring dear Nell.
utopia
Senior Contributor

@Chris. In the past my first reaction would be to freeze (never fight or flight). Then I have to take myself through certain steps.
I shut my eyes and then open them quickly.
I look around and see I'm in no danger.
I tell myself there is no danger - I am safe.
Then I take full deep belly breaths. Slowly in. Slowly out. I do this as long as it takes me to focus on my breath and til my breathing calm downs to a normal rhythm. By then I'm over the initial attack.

mine is just  fight or flight mode. nothing more, nothing less. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance