Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Interview Do's and Don'ts // CLOSED

Howdy everyone,

This week's Career Chat will look at the Do's and Don'ts of job interviews.

Job interviews can be a bit of a mystery - what are employers looking for? What questions are they going to ask? How can I make a good impression?

During this session we will be taking your questions about job interviews and also looking for your experience and advice to others.

Our host, @Renstar from Ostara will also share tips and strategies that everyone can benefit from!

@DefiantPanda - welcome to Career Chat!

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Career Chat // This Friday, 10am AEST // Interview Do's and Don'ts

Good morning and welcome to today's Forum topic, the Do's and Don'ts of job interviews. Thank you to @NikNik for the introduction.

This week I ran an Ostara session for our Towards Employment course (contact us to find out more) and this topic sparked a lot of debate! There are differing views on the Do's and Don'ts of job interviews ...

The main differences were coming from the different generations or ages of people in our group. It's indicative I think, of what's happening out in society as well ... some confusing information is out there.

Should I shake hands? Say "hi" or "good morning"? Do I have a nice conversation with the receptionist or sit down to look at my phone? Crack jokes or stay fairly serious? These were all scenarios we discussed.

Today you can do the same right here on the forum, what are you favourite Do's and Don'ts of job interviews?

I like DO be early and DON'T be hesitant to call if you're running late !! 😊😊 that's just one of the many ... Please share yours!

I DO like to have a light hearted joke, but know where the boundary is. You can often read the room of people and whether it's appropriate or not. If you can't get a read of the room, no jokes 🙂

I also think it depends what job you're going for. If it's hospitality or retail, showing that you can relate and connect to people is important - being able to incorporate light hearted humour into your interview could get you brownie points. In other roles, it might not be as important.

Excellent point @NikNik! Thanks for stopping by!
I agree that humor used correctly will definitely score you brownie points.

There are those of us who use a joke or light hearted comment when we're nervous.

Sometimes it's a good way to calm our nerves - a light hearted moment puts you at ease and makes the interviewer aware that you have a sense of humor too.

There is s caveat to that - be VERY careful that your light hearted joke is indeed very light and not in any way ... In bad taste 😊 You get the picture.

So sure, DO make a light hearted comment if it soothes your nerves but DON'T overdo it! In any situation during an interview ... Unless they want you to do that (and the interviewer will let you know!)

What has been the best piece of advice in regards to the dos and don'ts of interviews that you've ever received? 😀

Great to read another inspiring Career Chat @Renstar!

The best advice about DOs and DON'Ts for job interviews that I have ever received are...

DO be yourself. It's not just about the qualifications/experience/knowledge you bring, but also about the kind of person you are. The other stuff can usually be ascertained by looking at a CV, but what you bring as a person, the values you hold etc can only be conveyed by speaking with you and getting to know you in person.

DON'T forget that YOU are interviewing the company/organisation to see if they/the role meet your needs, just as much as THEY are interviewing YOU. It is easy to get caught up in thinking that an interview is like an audition and the spotlight is all on you. In fact, a job interview is a two-way process.

In her article How to Nail a Job Interview, Debra Dixon comments that the interview actually starts with the well-prepared resume.

That's a good point because in fact the person who is interviewing you has already got an image of you in their mind from the way you presented yourself and your resume and your cover letter ...

There are so many ways you can ensure your cover letter and resume are spot on ... And many resources around (one of which is Ostara !)

So here are some tips for dos and don'ts of the pre-interview ...

DO you ask questions when you receive a phone call make sure you are meeting their expectations and they are meeting yours.

Is there anything they would like you to bring to the interview?

Will you be asked to do anything beyond the interview itself? DO ask if you're not sure.

Will it be a group a panel or just one person conducting the interview?

DO ask questions to give your interviewer the impression and hopefully the realisation, that you are the sort of person who likes to be organised and likes to understand other's expectations so that they can be met.

Remember then; the interview begins with your resume and cover letter make them good !! 😀😀

Wonderful to have you here @2or3thingsIknow ! I also find your comments very inspiring ...Smiley Happy

Let's look at the advice you've been given then ...

'DO be yourself in an interview' - absolutely! Such great advice and the truth is when I interview candidates I can always tell when they're trying to be something they are not. To avoid this sort of situation apply for positions you know you'll really love ... not roles that you have to pretend to like.

And sadly, if you're trying to be something you're not it will be noticed! Smiley Sad

Very true again about the company wanting to meet you and see what sort of person you are @2or3thingsIknow - we receive so many CV's and Cover Letters some of which look much like each other ... the ones that stand out also have 'personality' and your effort shows.

That personality is what I look for too, I then want to see it in ther interview.

So DO be yourself both in the Cover Letter and also in the interview. Excellent advice.

And of course, the second DO, do interview the company as well, they're hiring you but they also need to be checked out.

Are they unprofessional?

Disorganised?

Too familar/too impersonal?

How does the receptionist respond to you - is she/he grumpy or appearing to be really happy with their role in the company?

Look around ... you are also interviewing them after all you're going to have to work here!!! Smiley Very Happy if it's not up to scratch then it may be time to rethink.

thanks so much @2or3thingsIknow for getting that conversation going!

Hey @Silenus - is this discussion of use to you? No worries if not, just thought I'd flag it.

DO Prepare thoroughly for the interview. Familiarise yourself with any and all information available.

DONT Come to an interview unprepared ever - even if you think you won't get it, your interviewer may not think you're suited to this role but perhaps there is another role coming up for which you would be perfect!

DO remember there is a hidden job market (about 80%) and when you're interviewing for a potential role you are also interviewing for HIDDEN JOBS that aren't yet advertised so DO be prepared in your interviews!

DO shine in your interview but DON'T overdo it ... Unless it's a sales position (in which case showcase yourself) ... This could be a tricky one too.

I recently interviewed a person who had so much to tell me about themselves I couldn't get a word in edgewise!

DO know when it's time to pause and listen. This brings me to a personal favourite DO LISTEN!! But not just to verbal cues but also non-verbal cues.

Has your interviewer indicated he/she would like to move to the next question?

DO watch for non-verbal cues such as she/he being poised to speak. Are they waiting for you to stop speaking so they can ask something? If yes then DO wrap it up and just LISTEN.

I know some of us talk a lot when we're nervous ... That's ok but listening skills are high on many company's list of desirable qualities for employees. So DO get a handle on nerves by just listening 😊

DO prepare!

But how?

Here's a list of standard DO's:

Do dress nicely, be clean, get on the potential employee's websiteI and practice interviewing with friends.

Now, copy and paste the following list of questions, these are for you to ask yourself (and answer for yourself) to prepare for the interview;

• Why are you the best candidate for this position? 

• What are your strengths?

• What are your weaknesses? (Always talk about these in a positive way.)

• What is it about the role that appeals to you? (I always ask this one Smiley Wink)

• How would your previous supervisors/colleagues describe you?

• Discuss three of your accomplishments.

• How do you develop collaborative relationships with colleagues?

• What do you see as the biggest challenge in this field/role (this shows you're thinking about the role and company)?

• If there was a fly on the wall, what would they see you do whilst you were performing the role/doing the job? 

DO prepare, I promise it makes a huge difference!

Question:

What was the best preparation for an interview you ever did and did it get you the job? Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance