Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// End Of Year, YOUR Way // Tuesday 19th December 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Hey! @Stara Thanks for joining us tonight 🙂 

Basically the discussion takes place over the next hour and a bit in this thread, so just clicking the 'refresh' button for your browser every so often will reveal the conversation as we go along (and feel free to contribute as much or as little as you would like). 

Here is a link with some more information that might be helpful:  Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Re: Topic Tuesday// End Of Year, YOUR Way // Tuesday 19th December 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Let's get started with our first question for @BigSkyCat; & our community; What does the end of year period usually look like for you? Are there any particular celebrations involved?  

@Glisten @Stara @Patches59 @Healandlove 

Hi I'm not sure where or how I'm supposed to post or join in but 🙏🏾

What does the end of year period usually look like for you? Are there any particular celebrations involved?

The end of the year period is complex for me. I was brought up to celebrate Christmas and this is still a cultural expectation I feel pressure to realise. I am a single mother and the parenting issues at this time of year are particularly difficult.

I celebrate Christmas Eve (special meal and hanging stockings for Santa to come), Christmas Day (opening of presents, another special meal), New Year’s Eve (watch fireworks on TV and celebrate the potential for the year ahead - don’t do New Year’s resolutions any more don’t feel they are helpful)

Hello everyone! I am glad this chat is happening in this thread. I always struggle with the other chat 😂. My question to the group would be how will you cope with changes in the way you celebrate Christmas and the New Year. Due to my husband's complext ptsd and husband's behaviour we have been estranged from my sister's family. The loss of a family celebration with the children is big. We started creating a different routine last year but the memories and the 'what it could be' are still painful. 

@Stara  👋🏼 I thought the same thing, but you are actually doing it right now 👍🏼

Christmas eve is hanging stockings and taking the family photo infront of the tree. Christmas day is opening presents with my kids and spending time with my hubby's side of the family. Besides my mum I don't see my side of the family. 

It is plastering on that fake smile and pretending that I am ok.

🫂 sending you a virtual hug. I find this time of year really hard too.

Great question! @Healandlove 

Change can be really difficult to navigate around this time of year. I think what helps me is just remembering that every year is different and that I don't need to put too much pressure on myself to uphold traditions or celebrating if I am not feeling great. It doesn't always have to look the same as previous years if that is not what I have the capacity for at the moment.

Remembering to be grateful for what I do have is an important step for embracing change during the holiday period 🙂 

My household, and family, consists of me and my 2 cats.  Few days before Christmas I go to one specific shop and buy couple meals of roast meat and vegies.  I ‘treat myself’ to pudding, mince pies.

this year is first year since 2006 that I have had any type of interest in Christmas, this year I have a wreath hanging on my front door and statue of Santa in a front window

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance