Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Weeklong Discussion: Gardening For Mental Health

@ArraDreaming I'm not much good with veggies and always thought seed grown was better for root development? Seedlings are definitely easier

Correct but seedlings are easier for new gardeners also more encouraging as you are getting near instant results/faster growth @Dimity

I like your idea of doing a little bit every day @ArraDreaming . Today I wasn't up to doing much but dug a couple of blackberries and planted my cat thyme.

@ArraDreaming @tyme @Appleblossom @Oaktree I've been inspired... today I got some celery and broad bean seedlings. Hopefully I'll get them in the ground tomorrow. 

Good for you @Dimity 

Today I bought a second green house from Aldi and it was $10 cheaper than the first one I bought because it was the last one they had. Winning! Will have to go back to Bunnings for more pots and soil. I am so excited!!!

Meggle

Congrats @Oaktree that was good value.

I've just brought my box of out-of-date seed packets into the livingroom to sort through. I'll try some in pots, if any grow it will be a bonus.

I know what you mean @Dimity 

I have a box of seeds that are over a year old. My parsley didn’t grow and I had to go buy new packets of those.

Good luck with your seeds.

Meggle

This was going to be a week long discussion but has dragged out and I think I might continue posting different snippets of information. 

Today is all about the WHAT. 

What is one thing you can start growing all year round? Lettuce.

They are versatile and fast to grow. If you grow them in the right spot you can grow them all year. Pots, hanging baskets, if you are looking to plant in smaller spaces.

Lettuces are annuals that grow easily from seed but it is much quicker to get a crop that you can start to harvest in only a couple of weeks by purchasing seedlings. If you do this make sure they are new and young, don’t purchase a tired punnet with overgrown plants as they will go to seed after planting.

Lettuce like sun for about half the day in summer, preferably in the morning sun. In colder weather they can tolerate more sun. Most lettuces dislike really hot conditions, especially when it is combined with high humidity. If you want to grow lettuce in the middle of summer, grow it in a shady position. This is when your hanging baskets and pots come in handy.

•  
    Looking for Lettuce companions?

Companians : Leeks, cabbage, beets, silver beet, spinach.

If you have space use the companion plants to enable more growth as talked about above.

I hope this is helpful @Oaktree @Dimity @tyme @Krishna @Appleblossom @Historylover @Vanessa08 😊

Thanks @ArraDreaming yes this thread is good, it's inspired me to try to get into the garden a little bit each day instead of putting it off. I'll look out for some greens. Today I put in a few flowers. 

This is fabulous @ArraDreaming5 - please tag me in for further information.

I have a very small courtyard - and it doesn't get much sun in winter because of a huge jacaranda next door blocking the light - and possibly the drains - who knows? - in the summer I get a bit too much for my plants - still what I have growing is well established.

I am planning to get my gardener to go to Bunnings for me and get a couple of large pots - square ones would be great - and some potting mix and some seedling herbs - I love herbs - I have been using dried herbs in my cooking since my daughter injured her spine and I think I would need to leave it a few weeks before setting any seedlings - but

What about silver beet? - I like eating it very young and raw - I prefer that to lettuce - it's a winter vegetable I think - and yummy raw - it's too early for tomatoes too - and I know better than to grow carrots in potting mix - not having tried it - I just heard this from my daughter.

The soil where I live is hydrophobic - very sandy and there are a lot of ants around here. I have African daisies in the front and a self-sown tea-tree growing with a jade plant wrapping itself around it - this is unusual and a great delight to me and anyone I point it out too. Palagonia does well - except in the back where it's just too dry and sandy.

This is so interesting Jay - I am glad I found it this evening.

Owlunar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance