Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

SLG
New Contributor

Hello everyone

I am new here and have been dealing with some mental health issues over the past 18 months. I experienced a traumatic event at work that led to a panic disorder developing. I also suffer with medical anxiety, and this always flares up when I’m facing any other mental health challenges.  I have been experiencing quite severe symptoms of depression and anxiety, including derealization symptoms. It has been a really long road I am currently off work. I have had several medication changes and increases. I finally got to a place where I feel like it’s time to try and put some strategies in place to move forward and get everything back on track the best way I can. I’m still having some really hard days. The medication and counseling has helped but I still feel like I am so far from where I was before all this started. My reason for joining was to get some inspiration from others, who have managed to put their life back together after a mental health crisis. I’m not sure if I will be able to return to my previous employment. This has been one of the most unexpected and challenging things I’ve ever faced, and I think talking about it with other people might help me to feel less alone. I also hope that I may be able to offer some support and advice for others that are going through similar things. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hello everyone

Hi I'm new here too.

I can't imagine what event you've been through.  When I was late teens, early 20s I suffered panic disorder, PTSD, generalised anxiety disorder and had depersonalisation and derealization for an extended period.  It takes time for your mind to heal, often much longer than we want.  But there's lots of small steps you can take.  Finding anything that relaxes you or that you enjoy helps a lot.  For me it was simple as watching TV and swimming.  There's lots of ups and downs on the way.  I managed to complete a university degree during this time in my life.  It gave me a goal and structure.  But it doesn't matter how big or small your goals are.  Best of luck.

Hello @SLG & @Tonka3  Welcome to the forum. Plenty of support here. You are in a safe place and amongst your own kind.

Thank you for introducing yourselves and sharing your story.

I participate in the SANE Group Zoom topics and Peer Group Chat because I really need constant re-enforcement.

Hey @SLG,

I see that you've been moving through a turbulent mental health time, and I want to offer you some additional company in this space. 

I know it can be so hard to acknowledge our achievements when we're in the thick of it, so I wanted to share some reflections. Your challenges are familiar to me, and I wish to commend you on your commitment to your healing and recovery journey. It sounds like you've been making some real progress. 

I see that meds and counselling have been positive components of your process and that you're maybe looking to explore additional supports and strategies. Is this an accurate read? Would you feel to expand further on areas in which you're seeking support?

I have navigated multiple mental health crises and am so here for sharing around my experiences of intentionally rebuilding stability and cultivating wellness. 

Welcome to the forums. So glad that you're part of this community. 

Hey @Tonka3 @SLG @Glisten ,

Great to see you all.

@SLG your post was very inspirational. I can see how you are ready to make changes. No one promises it will be easy, but it will be worth it.

We are here to help you along the way.

Re: Thank you Glisten

Thank you Glisten for your very kind and warm welcome.  Always so nice to be in a forum/chat where there is no stigma.  I recovered successfully from anxiety, panic disorder, dissociative symptoms and PTSD in my 20s.  I was later diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder.  I'm 48 these days and have lived with bipolar for many years, sometimes going through long periods of wellness and then facing, depression, mania, hypomania with or without psychotic symptoms.  I'm sure many people with bipolar can relate.

Once again thanks for the warm welcome.😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance