Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Daniel3
Casual Contributor

Lonliness as a mental health survivor

Hi everyone

I'm new here. I'm 59 and have Schizoaffective disorder as well as being on the autism spectrum. I live alone but am essentially an extrovert so life gets confusing! In the past I have called the 131114 number to just talk to someone and connect to another human being because I have internalized stigma. I have no real friends and I have a good support worker from the NDIS but well they are paid friends. My loneliness and isolation gets to me but I have my music and guitar and books. I am currently doing a pathway course in the Liberal Arts but they are my fellow students. Anyone who has both ADS and mood swings I would love to hear from you or just to chat to anyone.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Lonliness as a mental health survivor

Welcome @Daniel3 ! 

I'm sure there will be others who'd love to connect with you here 🙂

I myself have lived years with mood swings. It hasn't been easy, however, with the help of a psychologist, I was able to work on some of the things that drove these mood swings. For me, often it was fear and anxiety that caused me to 'flip'....

I look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

Thanks for the welcome Tyme and look forward to contributing.

I hear that loneliness plays a huge part in your life @Daniel3 . In your local area, do you have community events that you can attend, or Men's Shed etc where people can meet up and chat?

I don't find socializing very easy due to my paranoia and ASD. I am happy in class at uni. I tend not to leave my flat alone. Men's sheds would terrify me as I have been bullied many times by men.

Makes sense. Well I'm glad you have found us here. Sometimes, we have a virtual cuppa at Share a cuppa? 

We also have a music thread Everything music 

You are also welcome to start your own music/cat thread if you want 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance