Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

We're due to get a little bit of rain here too @Former-Member, and a few cooler days- 20 deg. plus or minus a few. Today was 30-ish, windy and dusty, so the silverbeet plants I put in the pot yesterday have fainted a bit. They've lost their root network in the transplanting process, and the wind carries the moisture away from their leaves. They'll be putting out new fine "feeder" roots within a day or two, and the cooler weather will also help.

Picked the first of our cherry tomatoes today 😀.

Love to hear about your gardening adventures here @Tufftimes 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Made it to garden club this week, the first time in a long time.  

images (72).jpeg

Garden Club day here is one of my big "self care" things @Former-Member. I very jealously defend its date each month.

Ours is a friendly bunch, and I know of at least one occasion where our good reputation got us entry to a lovely garden that wasn't often opened up to groups. It was one that has featured on Gardening Australia (TV and magazine articles) and it was in the Australian Open Gardens schedule a few years back. 🙂

(I'm the "junior" member of the group... have been ever since I joined it nearly 19 years ago.)

images (92).jpeg

In a transition phase re: garden with house on market @Smc . Not wanting to spend too much on it, but seeing how a few more plants in a number of spots would improve visual appeal greatly. Our newer hedge plantings are only just starting to take off, but still too small to shade out the weeds.  I might throw around some more annual flower seeds but have not had a great deal of success with them.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Mr Darcy moved the large pile of weeds in our front yard into the chook pen.  Once the grass grows a bit the area will be ascetically more pleasing (and not off putting to a potential buyer).

I got a couple more silverbeet plants in today, and another little batch of Egyptian Onions. Also did some pruning.

Cool (cold, actually) weather predicted for tomorrow, so the new plantings will like that. The toms, basil and capsicums that are still going may not be so happy.

Shuffled through a spot where I'd planted Elephant Garlic last year, found six full sized bulbs starting to put out new roots, and seven little baby bulbils. Got a fresh spot ready for those and replanted them, and put two silverbeet plants in their old spot.

I planted the garlic/perennial onions too late in the season last year. They didn't do too badly, but weren't as big as they could have been. Hoping that earlier plantings this year will give them the time to develop properly.

Oooh, and I spotted the Dutch Irises starting to shoot up today! 😄 They haven't flowered yet for me, but I recently lifted them, added composty stuff to the soil and replanted, so hoping maybe this year.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance