Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is it okay to ignore Christmas? // 13 Dec. 7pm AEDT

@k_sarah Would chatting with friends on Facebook help? No-one ever seems to take a day off social media, so perhaps you'll find some friends on there who are up for a chat while they're trying to escape from their families 😉 The only worry would be if seeing their pics of their xmas lunches and dinners would upset you, but I think you'll find that if you love Xmas, you may also enjoy it vicariously through others. And chocolate, lots of chocolate!! I hope that helps. I hate Christmas, but I still like connecting with my good friends who are far away on that day, the people I would rather be spending the day with. It makes me feel less alone.

Yes @Former-Member

my idea of christmas has changed a lot over the years , now I just find it is just another day

Hi @Former-Member

I feel lucky that I'm house-sitting in a lovely house, so that will make me feel a bit special on the day.  I think making myself a nice meal or two with some treats in between will be beneficial.  I'm thinking of going for a walk at some point and probably doing so crocheting and mindless television watching.  

Lots of being nice to myself!

You're making sense @Former-Member.  You're doing the best thing you can do in a situation like this - planning to minimise the harm of a potentially painful experience.  Is the beach - or some form of water - not an option at all?  Is there anyway you can fit in some time in nature to help sooth you?   

That sounds sooo good @k_sarah!

Here on the SANE forum, we are having company here 24/7 everyday and over christmas ,

could start a thread of our own about anything we are interested in  and sharing  and talking to others xx

Hi @SwearyCyn, Yes, I have a couple of people who I can connect with on social media on the day.  They said they wish I was in the same place they live so they could invite me to Christmas, which I found very heartening.  I've been trying to avoid chocolate, but yes, I think Christmas will be the day for it.  Thank you.

You are right here as in it might make people feel either connected or isolated. Tricky one - I think having a message chat 'date' at a certain time might be a good plan, rather than scrolling through hundreds of pictures of people doing something fun that you are not...

Last year @Former-Member

my husband and I brought each other dvds and watched them on the day , nice and relaxing

I agree @YogaBear.  It's okay to express our needs and try to accomodate them on Christmas just like any other day.  It's just that we all seem to have internalised this pressure to spend it in a particular way.  It really does take bravery to make the day your own.  Like culturally swimming upstream.  That's why the forums are so important - can be good to touch base with others if you start becoming aware of being alone or having a very different day from other people. 

Although I really think we over-estimate what's happening in other homes.  How many people are really having an extraordinarily good time?  Of the adults anyway.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance